Ask a Urologist   »  

Pinhead sized bumps on penis shaft, no pain. STD negative. Never had sex. Worried

Question
Hi there - I am a 28 year old healthy male. Never have had sexual intercourse. I have some small tiny pinhead sized bumps on my penis shaft. They don't hurt, they're very small, and they're always present. I just wanted to make sure I don't have anything to worry about. I've been tested for all STDs including HSV 1 and 2 just in case. All are negative. I know that skin down there can be all kinds of textures but just something I've been worried about. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

Thanks for the query. I was able to view the picture sent and I appreciate the spots.

The tiny pinhead sized bumps on the penis shaft seems to be "Fordyce spots" which is harmless growth of sebaceous glands. It is quite common in many men. Similar spots can also occur on the lips and labia (in women).

I understand your concern whether or not this is related to an infection. Let me assure you that this is unrelated to infection / serious pathology. Besides this, as you are sexually inactive, possibility of sexually transmitted disease is out of question.

Though this is a completely (I would say 100%) harmless condition, many men like you are worried. If you are quite bothered, you may get this treated by carbodioxide laser done by a competent dermatologist.

Hope you are convinced and reassured. Let me know if you have further enquiries.
If you have no follow ups, please close this discussion. Any reviews are appreciated.

Best Regards
Dr. Prasad