Pin prick, itchy red spots and bruises. Applying calamine. Advise?

May 2013
I sometimes get like a pin prick which turns into an itchy red spot then it becomes a bruise . Calomine
lotion helps .
Posted Mon, 2 Jul 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
thanks for the query.

The possible causes for your bruises are,

-as age advances blood vessels will become fragile and bruises appear easily.

-Warfarin used as anti coagulant is known to cause bruises as side effect. The risk will be more when the INR is high which can occur because of high dosage or drug interactions.

-Some anti hypertensive drugs like diuretics may also cause bruises.

-In atrial fibrillation also formation of bruises can be seen.

You better visit your doctor once get examined and discuss regarding the problem, enquire whether warfarin dose to be adjusted or any other measures to be taken.

The general measures that can help are,

-when bruise occurs apply frozen compress,
-keep the bruised are above the heart level for the first twenty four hours as much as possible,
-then apply warm compress,
-give rest to the affected part.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.