Pimples on the area of tattoo, few seem to be swollen and oozy. What should be done?

Just got a new tattoo 1 week ago. Started getting pimples or razor burn from shaving the area that got tattoo. Tattoo is on my fore arm. I have several of these pimples. But some are very swollen , hot and red. If pushed on thick yellow puss comes out. Except one that is about three inches away from tattoo area red in center very hot very swollen but no puss. What should I do?
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 38 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome to Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

You are developing staphylococcal skin infection at the tattooed sites (like folliculitis or abscesses).
It may spread. Do you have any fever?
Please use antiseptic to clean the area. You will need to see your doctor and start an antibiotic for the infection.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck!

As it helps us to improve continuously, may I request you to write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query.
Thank you!!
Follow-up: Pimples on the area of tattoo, few seem to be swollen and oozy. What should be done? 6 minutes later
What antibiotics should be taken for this
Can I take cipro
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 8 hours later
I would recommend a doctor's evaluation to see if it is really a staph infection on actual examination. they need to see if it is forming a larger furuncle.
Some abscesses may need drainage if big

Yes ciprofloxacin can be used, if approved by your doctor.
Cloxacillin, cefuroxime, cefpodem etc may be used.
self administration for wrong indication may worsen the situation with complications like spreading cellulitis.

Watch for any spreading swelling, redness, fever etc.

I hope this answers your query.
Follow-up: Pimples on the area of tattoo, few seem to be swollen and oozy. What should be done? 46 minutes later
Yes I have an area about 3 inches away from the tattoo. That the swelling is spreading. This bump started out larger than the other bumps. It wont pop or release any puss or blood only clear liquid. Then swells larger. I didn't try to squeeze it any more when I saw it getting bigger. All other bumps can be squeezed and popped without getting bigger. Is this big bump probably cellutitis. And what does that mean. It is red and hot and swelling is spreading. I do have kflex 4 500 mg capsules and. 14 days of cipro. Cant afford to go to Dr. at this time.
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 1 hour later
Actually, a doctor's actual evaluation is needed to decide the drug and dosage.

If you can not see your doctor, then as an interim measure you can start either cipro 500 mg twice daily or Kflex (cephalexin 500mg 3 times a day) for 5-7 days at least.

Any spread or non-resolution or fever should prompt you to see an ER doctor to avoid serious complications.

Keep the area cleaned with an antiseptic like Betadine or Dettol.
You can apply an antibiotic cream like Neosporin or Soframycin or locally available skin antibiotic.
Follow-up: Pimples on the area of tattoo, few seem to be swollen and oozy. What should be done? 5 hours later
Whats the best medicine for pain.
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 9 hours later
Oh, a NSAID like tab. ibuprofen (Advil) or piroxicam (dolonex) would do.
3 times a day.

But keep a watch on finger sensations, tight forearm swelling, finger movements.
(compartment syndrome)

If there is any worrying worsening please go to the ER urgently.