Pimples on lip, no pain, dryness, chapping, spreading. Medication?

hi my name is XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
sex- male
age- 22 years
height- 6,1'
weight- 155
I have not had any major illness or allergies, no surgeries.
Like a month or so, I noticed that some little tiny pimples are appearing on my upper lip, they are not noticeable only if you pay very close attention. They don't hurt, they just bother me a little because I noticed that my lips get very dry and chapped, and I also noticing that they are spreading to the inside of my lip. I would like to know if there is a name for this, a medication that can help me
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 22 minutes later

Since the tiny bumps on lips are appearing from a month and they are painless and non discharging, an important possibility for such bumps could be Fordyce spots. If it has appeared suddenly then allergic reaction and infection were important possibilities but since the bumps are appearing since 1 month, hence they are less likely to be due to allergies/ infections.

Fordyce spots are basically small, painless, elevated spots that are 1 to 3 mm in diameter and may appear on the lips of males or females of any age. They are not known to be associated with any disease or illness and are a natural occurrence. However they may be cosmetically unappealing to certain individuals.

Unfortunately there is no topical or oral medication for this condition and sometimes TCA peels may be done but they are temporary. Other treatment options include includes CO2 laser or electro desiccation, diathermy or laser vaporization.

Dry and chapped lips can be due to vitamin B deficiency and secondly it can be due to cheilitis lips. Take some vitamin B complex for some days and see if your symptoms improve.

For the chapped lips, you can apply Petroleum jelly or XXXXXXX butter on your lips and drink plenty of fluids. Severe cases may need topical steroids which are available under prescription.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.