Pimple on inner thigh. Noticed dark substance in it after popping. What could this be?

hi there
I had a pimple on my inner thigh; I thought it was a blackhead as they occur quite often, and once i popped it i noticed a dark black substance inside it i placed betadine on it and then I covered it with a bandaid, today there seems to be a hole with the same black substance inside it.
Posted Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 28 minutes later

Since you have opened the boil there would be a sinus formed now, do not apply bandaid unless you are sure that you have expressed all of its contents.

Sometimes substances like hair, fabric, etc., can get entrapped in the folds and form a boil enclosing it. Such substances elicit a suppurative inflammation around it and form a boil filled with debris.

Do express all the contents of the sinus until you see clear or bloody discharge from it. Then do apply an antibacterial ointment like Bactroban and dress the wound. This result in early healing without causing any complications. Do change the dressing every day and apply the ointment until the wound dries.

If the wound is large or you are unable to express all the contents then you may have to visit your treating doctor who can perform an incision and drain the contents.

Hope I answered your query. Please let me know if there are any other concerns.