Pimple on forehead, swelling, redness, hard. Taking antibiotics. Where should I go?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
about two weeks ago I had a "bruise" pimple on my forehead. I woke up last Saturday with my whole forehead swollen and filled with fluid. Saw a doctor they put me on cephlax and told me hot compresses. Since then the swelling from my forehead has moved down through my eyes and has passed. My general dr. lanced it on Mon. and barley got anything out but still had it cultured. It is now over my left eye about the size of your index finger to my knuckle. It is super hard also and red. I am still on antibiotics and saw a dermatologist and she tried to cut into it also and got a little puss out too but not much. My results came back from general doc negative but he said it could be because I was already on antibiotics for 2 days and it was a small sample. I am a little baffled and it is painful on my forehead. It is a linear finger length and width size. It is red and very hard . I was told to keep doing the hot compresses 6x/day 10 min or more and come back on monday to see if it loosens up. I really am not sure where I should be going with this? Any suggestions Michele
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
From your description it seems that you have got your gland or a hair follicle infected.
Since your dermatologist has already tried to drain the pus, it seems that the swelling you are having is due to the inflammation. You are already taking the antibiotics and doing a hot fomentation.
In addition, you can start taking an anti inflammatory drug like ibuprofen thrice daily after consulting with your physician. Adding a combination of trypsin- chymotrypsin or serratiopeptidase will also help in reducing the swelling.
You can follow up with your dermatologist as advised.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.