Pimple like spot appeared on cheek and nose. Could it be milia? How to remove this?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi

I have been experiencing small pimple like on my cheeks and nose since 2 months. But they are not pimples.

I have found on net that it might be milia.

Can you help me how will I remove them and what is this?

Thanks
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 55 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your concern with us.

Milia is superficial epidermal keratin cyst i.e. keratin gets trapped or accumulated in upper layer of skin in the form of cysts and appear as white bumps.

The treatment is in the form of milia extraction. A sterile needle is used to break the skin overlying milia and then it’s popped out using a comedone extractor. It's a painless procedure and you may resume your daily activities or office immediately after the procedure.

The cause of milia is usually use of extremely oily or comedogenic skin products, sun exposure and sometimes one has tendency to get milia often. Therefore to prevent further occurrence
- You may use a salicylic acid based face wash for exfoliation of dead skin layer
- Use a sunscreen regularly
- Avoid oily or comedogenic products
- Apply tretinoin or adapalene at areas prone to milia formation.
A dermatologist nearby can write a prescription for some of these products, if they are not available over the counter.

That being said, if you are not fully sure that the pimple like lesion on your cheek is milia; please post a clear picture of the lesion to me using the upload feature available on this page. Alternatively you can mail it to my attention (Attn: Dr. Kalpana Pathak) at YYYY@YYYY

Hope that answers your query. Should there be any other query, I would be happy to assist you.

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

PS: Should there be no other query, we may close the discussion

Follow-up: Pimple like spot appeared on cheek and nose. Could it be milia? How to remove this? 26 hours later
Hello Doctor

Thanks for reply

I have uploaded the image of the pimple like lesions

Please also let me know the treatment for it

Medicine that is available easily

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

The image uploaded is not clear enough. The lesions look more like acne vulgaris( pimples) than of milia. Before I can advise on any treatment, I would like you to upload a good resolution image of the concerned area.

Hoping to hear from you soon.