Pill went down windpipe. Discomfort in chest, coughing. What do you advise?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I swallowed some pills but one went down my windpipe. I have some discomfort in the right side of my chest & have been coughing a lot, bringing up some chalky stuff (the melting pill, I think. What, if anything, should I do?
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 29 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
Pill will dissolve,this is usually not problematic. Usually it is to small to cause some serious obstruction. Drink water too, that will help melt it faster. As long as you are breathing properly and can speak, you are going to be perfectly fine. If you notice breathing diffciulties or hoarseness go to ER.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help