Pierced foot with rusted nail. Got a tetanus injection. Developed mild fever and body ache. Is it normal?

yesterday a rusted nail pierced my foot , so as a precaution I went to the local clinic and got a tetanus injection.
But now a day after it the arm where I was injected is paining and I am developing mild fevers and it seems like a mild body ache also.
Is it normal please advise
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 14 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

The symptom which you have mentioned may be due to tetanus injection or pierced nail.

While tetanus shots are well tolerated by most, there can be a variety of side effects including muscle pain.

Within hours or days after receiving a tetanus shot, the area around the shot may become red, swollen or painful. In rare cases, muscle pain may spread to other areas of the body.

Muscle soreness from a tetanus shot may also be relieved by applying heat to the affected area. This can be in the form of a warm, damp cloth or by using a heating pad. It may also be helpful to move the area around gently while heating the muscles to help them relax and loosen. Heat can be applied for 10 to 20 minutes at periods throughout the day.

If muscle pain is accompanied by swelling, ice may help to reduce the symptoms. This can be accomplished by applying an ice pack or package of frozen peas.

For muscle pain and fever which might be due to both, if you think the symptoms are increasing you can consider taking over the counter pain relieving and antipyretic medication.

I advice you to see doctor if the symptom persists more than 3 to 4 days or increases following conservative approach mentioned above.

Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Follow-up: Pierced foot with rusted nail. Got a tetanus injection. Developed mild fever and body ache. Is it normal? 4 minutes later
The fever is almost gone now after taking paracitamol in the afternoon,
the pain only on the injected area it normal?
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 1 hour later
Good to hear from you.

I advice you to follow the conservative approach that is applying heat to the affected area and i don't think you need any medicine presently. You will be fine in one or two.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health