Piece of wood felt on top of toe. It turned purple and swollen. Can it be blood clot, how to ease the pain?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello Dr,
A peas of wood felt on top of my middle toe, was so pain full that I closed my eyes so tided that I almost cried, a few hours later the middle toe turned purple, blueish color and very swollen, My question is can I get blood clots,and what can take to ease the pain and the swollen middle toe. Thank you
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 28 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

By the description, you could have sustained either a PHALANGEAL (toe bone) fracture or a HEMATOMA.

The initial management comprises of

* Rest to the local part (avoid any movements)
* Ice packing to reduce pain & swelling
* Keep Foot end in elevation most of the times
* Judicious use of analgesics & antiinflammatory medicines

An xray is mandatory to rule out any fracture.

Hope I have answered the query. Happy to help for any further clarifications.

Follow-up: Piece of wood felt on top of toe. It turned purple and swollen. Can it be blood clot, how to ease the pain? 10 minutes later
Dr Naga,

Should I worry about blood clot?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 29 minutes later
Hi, The hematoma (blood clot) usually gets absorbed within 3 weeks (maximum time). If you are a Diabetic person, then there is a chance of hematoma getting infected. Otherwise it should not bother you.

Once the acute pain subsides, then keep regular moist heat fomentation over the swollen area to hasten the healing process.

Good day.