Ask a Dentist   »  

Piece of wisdom tooth broke exposing tender area. Can I wait? Concerned?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
a piece of my wisdom tooth broke off causing a soft tender area to be exposed is this cause for immediate concern or can i wait a couple weeks to have tooth pulled
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later

I'm sorry to hear that your wisdom tooth has broken. There are a few problems that could develop if you leave it a couple of weeks.

As there is a soft, tender area exposed, this would suggest it is a significant amount that has broken off and some underlying gum is exposed. There may be nerves also exposed and these may start to give you pain over the coming days.

Also, the area will be difficult to clean and keep free of food debris which may lead to food and bacteria collecting around the broken area leading to infection.

If a sharp edge of tooth has resulted then this may damage your tongue or the inside of your cheek.

I would suggest you see your dentist in the next couple of days for an assessment and advice on further treatment.

I hope this has answered your question but if you need any further clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Dr K A Pottinger