Picking from nose, ears and eyes and eating. Cause? Deficient in something?

my great granddaughter is 4 yrs. old. she picks her nose, her ears, and her eyes and then eats it. What is wrong with her/ is she deficient in something?
Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No, does not indicate deficiencies of any kind

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

This behavior is absolutely nothing related to any nutrient deficiencies or any other deficiencies within the body, and has even proved to have added benefits in improving ones immunity. Although it is not socially acceptable.

If seen in children conditions suspected should be: increased stress (also called the tension phenomenon) psychiatric conditions, etc. But not always; as nose picking is just a passing behavior and if the child is told not to do so, the habit slowly disappears.

I hope you found my response helpful. Do write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.