Picked up amoeba. Had tinidazole and Flagyl. Suffering from cramps. Guide

Excellent

Question
I travelled to Brunei in January and picked up an amoeba. I have had two courses of tinidazole and then one course of FLAGYL. Really found them very unpleasant to take as I seem to be very susceptible t o the known side effects. Anyway, I doubt anything is living in there. Since the last dose (2 weeks ago) I have been on a high fiber low gluten diet and am taking stomach flora tablets daily. However every morning I start getting mild cramping that becomes more severe towards 7.30am when I have a movement that is soft and is accompanied by about 5 minutes of cramping. This does not seem right. Maybe I just need more time for my bowels to adjust to the new diet etc but I just wanted to check.
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Its not uncommon for some people to experience some malaise while on Metronidazole (Flagyl).
I would suggest you do another stool examination and a stool culture if symptoms persist. However, for the moment, you diet is very appropriate. Including more green vegetables, drinking much water and eating a lot of fruits, especially bananas if available could be very useful.

However, you remain watchful for symptoms. Persistence or aggravation could warrant a new stool examination and culture.
Thanks and best regards as I wish you the best of health.

Do not hesitate asking any further questions. I will be honored making suggestions.
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Picked up amoeba. Had tinidazole and Flagyl. Suffering from cramps. Guide 1 hour later
Thank you. As I thought but good to get confirmation from someone qualified

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 7 hours later
Hi and thanks for the response.

Hope you stay calm and watchful. Wishing you the best of health.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.