Phlegmy cough,sore and tight chest,malaise feeling,low appetite,low grade fever.Acute bronchitis ?

thank you. I have had a constant very productive phlemy cough for a week, keeps me awake most of the night, have very sore and tight chest and general feeling of malaise and no energy, loss of appetite. I don't even have the energy to go to the doctors but wonder if I may have acute bronchitis. Also have low grade fever intermittently. Would be grateful if you could advise
just thought i'd mention that the phlem is mostly milky clear colour. also have soreness in left arm and some tingling intermittently, though probably not related. with this cough, etc, my ears are a bit sore as well as my neck and throat and some headaches, but suspect that is all caused by the extreme coughing. looking forward to answer.
thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Constant productive cough associated with fever and generalised weakness is most likely due to a chest infection- Bronchitis or pneumonitis.
Antibiotics are the mainstay of the treatment and these you can get yourself prescribed after consulting with your physician.
For symptomatic relief, you can do a steam inhalation at least twice a day. Adding eucalyptus oil or menthol crystals will be very helpful in loosening the mucus impacted in your airways. For fever, taking acetaminophen will be helpful.
Avoid dust, smoke and any allergens. Going out in sun and mild exercise will help to boost your immunity.
Please do consult your physician for the proper investigations like chest X-ray and further treatment.
Hope my answer is adequate. Please get back if you have any follow up queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.     
Follow-up: Phlegmy cough,sore and tight chest,malaise feeling,low appetite,low grade fever.Acute bronchitis ? 8 hours later
Hello Doctor,
I appreciate your advice. I did call the locum doctor because I have felt to weak to drag myself to a surgery. Doctor came and diagnosed me with bronchitis. She prescribed a strong antibiotic called Moxiclav Duo Forte. All that I have read on bronchitis suggests that being a viral infection antibiotics aren't really helpful unless a secondary infection develops. My mucous is whitish, not green/yellow typical of infection. She also prescribed Panadeine Forte regularly for my cough. I don't want to disagree with the locum doctor but would welcome your opinion re the antibiotics. Also, what is the typical period required for recovery?

Looking forward to your response.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Bacterial infection is commonly associated with viral bronchitis and it is very appropriate for you to take Moxiclav duo forte. You can go ahead with the treatment prescribed to you by your primary physician.

This will help you in early recovery. The recovery should be between a week to 10 days.

Wishing you an early recovery.