Phlegm of different color, shortness of breath, blocked ears, diarrhea. Is it normal?

hi, ive a cough with phlegm of difeerent colour for 9 days now.
my temp is back to normal but still got a cough with phlegm and shortness of breath. my ears are also blocked since the cough started and pop every so often then revert to being blocked again.
also seem to have diareah may just be ibs which ive had for a year off and on
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later

From your history, it seems that you are having acute Bronchitis.

Shortness of breath and impacted phelgem need systemic antibiotics to deal with the infection you are having in your airways. You will have to consult your physician to get the best antibiotic and brochodilators prescribed for you. Steroids- both oral and inhalers might be needed for symptomatic relief.

The blocked ears and diarrhea may also be related to this infection.

However the best treatment for impacted mucus is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot.

Other than that, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods. Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths also help a lot.
If you have fever or the cough is worsening, then it is advisable to get a X-ray chest done to rule out Pneumonia as well.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.

Follow-up: Phlegm of different color, shortness of breath, blocked ears, diarrhea. Is it normal? 52 minutes later
hi, why would by ears be blocked and not my nose?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Ears can get blocked if the infection is present at the back of your throat; thus affecting the ‘eustachian tube’ opening.

Nose gets blocked if the infection spreads to your sinuses.

These changes are related to infection.

Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you a trouble free speedy recovery.