Phlegm coughing, wheezing, stressed chest, heaviness in nasal & temple area, throat irritation, had fever, body ache, allergic to NSAID, taken crocin steaming & paracetamol

Question
coughing a while now, as the weather is cold and highly dusty due to no rain. It started a week ago tried steaming, crocin but it often floods with phlegm and bit of wheezing in certain chilly wind level, specially on bed. It feels stressed chest in low air circulation area and begin coughing non-stop. Facial area often gets blocked and feel heaviness around the nasal and temple area. Feels better after blowing nose heavily. Had slight fever, body ache and eye-burning which vanished after paracetamol. Also, the throat area gets irritated often as I breathe and feels scratchy triggering the cough. just this cough, chest wheezing is what remains to bother. Once out in open feel better though. 48 years, 85Kg. otherwise healthy. Allergic to NSAID.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Radhika 43 minutes later

The symptoms you describe are consistent with the features of upper respiratory tract inflammation - nose, sinuses and bronchi / bronchioles. Virus could be the most likely cause. Apart from the infection, dust and dry condition can trigger allergic response leading to the above symptoms.

You may continue with the paracetamol tablet till if fever / heaviness of face / headache recur.

In addition, I also suggest the following measures:

1. You may start over the counter antihistaminic for your cold / burning sensation in eye.
2. If you feel irritation in your throat you may use Koflet Syrup lozenges. Herbal syrups such as Koflet syrup can also be useful.
3. Try mixing essential oils such as menthol, eucalyptus, or tea tree oil during steaming for improved results. Continue steaming twice a day, this will reduce your wheezing too.
4. Saline water can help ease sinuses and reduce the irritation. You may use nasal saline spray (unmedicated salt water) which can ease your sinuses.
5. In addition dietary and lifestyle changes such beverages, soups, avoiding oily food, light diet, adequate rest can benefit you.

Lastly antibiotics like Azithromycin can sometimes be needed to prevent pyogenic infection. Your physician can prescribe you this drug. So consider consulting them if the symptoms persist despite being on the aforementioned measures.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Phlegm coughing, wheezing, stressed chest, heaviness in nasal & temple area, throat irritation, had fever, body ache, allergic to NSAID, taken crocin steaming & paracetamol 22 hours later
I appreciate your guidelines, Thank you.

You can guess, why I am asking this below..

My issue is, OTC guys ignore the NSAID aspect. I neither have knowledge how to avoid them. So indicate specifc name(s).

Please note, I try to be careful getting this. Once I get it is sure it forces me to go for medicines that will react (further) and cause its own strain. Hence, I seek your help to suggest specifically the once without NSAID contents.

Secondly, I get this congesion and caugh etc even for a while I don't keep warm cloths on, since the winter is intensifying. Is this, more of mind or actually the my system is acting on its own. In normal health state, no such thing happens.

Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up.

You can take antihistaminics like Tablet Allerest every 6 hours for 5 days for cold. It is available over the counter containing 'chlorpheniramine maleate' and 'phenylephrine hydrochloride'. It is does not contain any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.

Along with this you could also take a Cough syrup like 'Syp. Robitussin' 2 tea spoons twice a day for 5 days.

Cold weather can cause nasal congestion and cough in some people. In addition viral infections are also common during cold weather. Hence it is wise to protect yourself well with warm clothes during cold weather.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Follow-up: Phlegm coughing, wheezing, stressed chest, heaviness in nasal & temple area, throat irritation, had fever, body ache, allergic to NSAID, taken crocin steaming & paracetamol 6 hours later
I checked pharmacies in my place for Allerest and robitussin, such brands not available here. Well, they offered Allercet-DC and Lupituss syp. Advise are they suitable and dosage for tab. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Radhika 16 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

If Allercet -DC is available you could take 10 mg once daily or if it is 5mg tablet two times daily.

For cough, Lupituss syrup can be taken two tablespoon full twice daily.

They are suitable and can be taken.

Regards.