Pet dog bit the left breast, no puncture, just blue with a hard lump. Will this go away ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My little dog was sleeping last week and I went to pet her, and she jumped up and bit me in the left breast. SHe just did it quick, like she was asleep and thought she was defending herself from something. She felt awful after she realized what she had done. There was no punture. It was black and blue for a week. I thought oh good, it's going away, butnow there is a hard lump there. Will this go away? I am in good general health.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 minutes later
Due to the bite in the soft tissue of breast, there must have been some internal bleeding at that time which caused the area to become black and blue.
Now it seems that the hematoma that had formed has become some fibrosed giving rise to a hard lump. There does not seem to be anything worrisome for now. These are all expected changes after a soft tissue injury.
You only need to wait and self monitor the lump for any pain, increase in size or its fixity to skin or deeper tissues in which case physical examination and further investigations are required.
Usually such lumps do resolve on their own without any treatment in 3-5 weeks. Please do not worry.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.