Persisting sore throat, pain while talking and swallowing. Prescribed with antibiotics. Remedy?

ENT Specialist
I'm 36 y/o male, 200 lbs, 6' tall with no major health problems. I had my tonsils out as a child.

I've been suffering for about 9 months now from a persistent sore throat. I went to a clinic where I was examined. They weren't sure what the problem was, but prescribed antibiotics in case it was an infection. That was 6 months ago. Since then the problem has gotten worse. I'm a singer and have abused my voice. I was thinking that it might be polyps or nodules, but haven't sung for 3 months now and it hasn't gotten better. It's painful to talk and sometimes my throat swells to the point that it's painful to swallow. Any ideas?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The nose and throat is surrounded by lymphoid tissue known as the 'Waldeyer's Ring'.

2. Removal of any component of this lymphoid tissue in childhood (such as the Palatine Tonsils) sometimes results in hypertrophy of the other components such as the Lingual Tonsils (Posterior 1/3rd of the tongue), Granular Pharyngitis on the back of the throat or the Pharyngeal bands of lymphoid tissue.

3. This lymphoid tissue hypertrophy makes the throat more sensitive leading to frequent sore throat.

4. The four other related conditions that you must discuss with your doctor are:
a. Chronic Laryngitis - since you have voice problems
b. Post nasal drip - if you have frequent colds
c. Acid Reflux - especially if you do not have fever
d. Sleep apnea (Snoring) - You are over your ideal body weight.
All these conditions make your throat more sensitive. I would also rule out Food Intolerance and Allergy.

5. A videolaryngoscopy will help distinguish these conditions. Your doctor can then advise medication accordingly, which may include anti-allergics, steroids, medicated gargles, anti-reflux medication and so on. There may be surgical options.

You may share your examination findings here for more specific treatment options.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.