Persisting sore spot on spine, anxiety. Home remedies?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a 30 year old female. 5'7 145 lbs. I am a non smoker and non drinker. About 6 months ago I noticed a sore spot on my spine, right below my bra strap. I noticed this when I was laying in the bath tub washing my hair. I went to the doctor about a week later to have my yearly done and told my doctor about this. She blew it off as nothing serious, stating that since thats the one bone that sticks out the farthest I probably injured it and didnt realize it. Well the pain is still there. It only hurts if I press on it, or if I bend over and somewhat arch my back like a cat would. And after Ive been in bed for a bit I notice it when sitting up sometimes, but not always. It almost feels muscular when I bend over, but when I press on my bone it feels bruised. Its on the bone and on both sides of the bone. About a month before I noticed the pain, I had moved into our new home, so there was a lot of heavy lifting and working involved there. I am also a mother of 3 children, ages 9, 7 and 3, and I know for a fact that I have terrible posture. I have looked this up online and seen where there are quiet a few people out there who have this same thing. While I have yet to find anything life threatening, and most people have been told it is posture related or injury realted, I am an anxiety sufferer and always tend to think the absolute worst. Just wondering what this could be, and if there are some things I could try at home to make this better???
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 hours later

You reported 'pain in the back with tenderness at one particular point persistent for six months'. Based on your description, I can think of the possible causes:

• Herniated discs / spondylosis / Spinal disc degeneration
Musculoskeletal pain syndromes like fibromyalgia.
• Infections of the bones: Bacterial and spinal Tuberculosis
• Noninfectious inflammation of the spine (spondylitis)

A proper focal examination and evaluation are entailed. It needs to evaluated by X-ray and MRI of the spine which you can do under the guidance of your orthopedician.

For betterment of the symptoms you can try these measures at home-

1. Absolute rest when the pain is severe.
2. Try some pain killers - orally or local ointment / spray applications. I suggest tab.Ibuprofen 400mg twice a day after food for 5 days..
3. While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
4. Avoid lifting heavy objects.
5. Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physio.
6. Avoid exercises in times of pain.
7. Improvise your posture while sitting.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.