Persisting small lump on the forearm post being hit. What can help to get rid of it completely?

Question
Hi doc last week I got hit by a golfball on my forearm.. IMMEDIATLY swelled up like an egg nothing broken iced IMMEDIATLY... Now 10 days later my inside forearm is all purple and the soft kind of lump much smaller of course is stil there.. What can I do to help it go away completely??
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 17 minutes later

The presence of purple on the site of injury indicates a hematoma formation. Hematoma is a collection of blood caused by XXXXXXX bleeding and usually resolves with time but sometimes may become persistent.

For the hematoma, apply warm compresses on the area and take some over the counter anti-inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor. If symptoms do not subside then this hematoma may need to be drained. A physical examination and MRI of the soft tissue in the area can confirm the diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Persisting small lump on the forearm post being hit. What can help to get rid of it completely? 4 hours later
thanks doc:
question...what substance exactly is in the lump under the skin??
what is making it bulge??
thanks

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

A hematoma is a collection of blood, usually clotted, outside of a blood vessel that may occur because of an injury to the wall of a blood vessel allowing blood to leak out into tissues where it does not belong. Hence the clotted and leaked blood causes the bulge and the lump.