Persisting pain on left side. Had taken antibiotics for blood in urine. Any thoughts?u

I have a pain on my left side............I thought it was a kidney infection and went to my doctor with a urine sample........there was blood showing and she put me on an antibiotic ...........which should have cleared it up within 48 hours.............5 days later the pain is still there................any thoughts would be welcome
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

If your doctor has diagnosed an infection, most probably a UTI), then finding small amounts of blood in the urine would be considered normal as is commonly seen in UTI's. If you do not mind, could you attach the reports or write back to me with them? Thank you for this.

The next aspect of your query is that the antibiotics should have taken effect by now. This information is most accurate. An effective antibiotic should show improvement in the condition within 24-48 hours. As this has not occurred, you are most probably resistant to the current antibiotic used. This problem can be solver by undergoing a urine culture and sensitivity test.

Let me explain this. Each individual has a different response to a medication, one antibiotic can be extremely effective in one individual, and another individual could be resistant to it. In such cases, a urine culture examination is done. In this test, your urine will be tested with a number of antibiotics, and their response will be noted. This report will then provide the doctor with the most suitable/effective antibiotic that can be used to treat you and will ensure rapid relief from your infection.

You could also request your doctor to add a pain management medication and a urine alkalizer to your treatment regimen, these will provide relief from your symptoms. And it is mandatory for you to consume as much water as possible during this period.

I hope this information helped. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. I wish you a speedy recovery

Best wishes.