Persisting nausea and vomiting after stomach infection. Reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello I am male 29 currently working in Iraq as a contractor. I noticed an increase in nausea earlier this year. IT is right around after I returned from Finland (where I caught a bad 3 day stomach virus) Since then I have had off and on cases of bad nausea and vomiting. I deployed in May and have had a few cases of getting sick after eating in the morning. I have limited my greasy morning food intake to help prevent it. It has worked a little bit but I still have it. So far twice I have woken up in the middle of the night and had to vomit (just stomach acids). Just had that happen again which led me to asking questions. I won't make it home until December.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later

Persistent nausea and vomiting lasting for months is usually caused by dyspepsia (indigestion), peptic ulcer disease / gastritis, gastroesophageal reflux disease, etc. Foods that are hard to digest (such as too many sweets) and undercooked (still partially raw) meat or fish can also cause vomiting and nausea.

Other causes that need to be ruled out include central causes, medicines, etc. A proper physical examination, few blood tests, endoscopies can help in confirming the diagnosis. You may get these tests when you go home.

Personally, I feel you might be just having mild gastritis which can cause persistent and sometimes very uncomfortable nausea. You may try the following measures which will be useful here:

1. You can try proton pump inhibitors such as Tab. omeprazole 20mg twice a day before food for a week followed by one tablet before breakfast for the next 4 weeks. This drug is available over the counter at most regions. You may consult your local pharmacist to know about its availability at Iraq.
2. You can start by taking soft, bland food: toast, bananas, crackers, plain rice, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, baked chicken ~ no skin, etc.
3. Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Cold drinks - stick to warm tea or water as long as symptoms persist, Raw fruits and vegetables, fried & greasy food and fast food, spicy food, caffeine,etc.

In case adequate improvement does not occur, you must consult a physician who can guide you with the aforementioned tests.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.