Persisting high fever. Taking Defcort. Is this a steroid? Side effects?

my mom is suffering with high fever continuosly from last 1 has prescribed him a dose of defcort 30 daily.Though her temperature is under control,but I would like to know whether this medicine comes under a steroid class and can there be any serious side effects of this medicine
Posted Tue, 26 Jun 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chandana Krishna 25 minutes later
Thank you for writing in.
You're right that Defcort is a corticosteroid drug commonly prescribed for autoimmune diseases (like Rheumatoid Arthritis & Juvenile Chronic Arthritis), Asthma and other airway diseases, Pemphigus, Uveitis, Nephrotic Syndrome, to reduce the inflammatory reaction and hence provide symptomatic relief.
Since you have not mentioned about what they have diagnosed or result of any blood test and patient is female, I'm assuming they have diagnosed as autoimmune disorder.
Just talk to the doctor what they have diagnosed and talk about your concern. They will surely help you out..
Be cautious if your mother has:
-Gastritis or esophagitis as it worsens it and can even cause perforation,
-Diabetic:drug increases the sugar level,
-Hypertension:It raises blood pressure,
-Cardiac failure and other cardiac condition: worsens
- It can also cause osteoporosis which can cause weakening of the bones.
If she is suffering from any of these, kindly talk to the doctor to change the drug.
Hope my information was of help to you.
If you have any doubt feel free to ask.
I'll try to guide you to my best.
Thank you.