Persisting high fever. Pet horse diagnosed with virus. Chances of transmission to humans?

my 19 year old daughter has had a fever up to 104 off and on for the past 8 days the fever lasts about 20 hours each this just a flu virus?? She has horses and one was just diagnosed with a virus....could the horse transmit to humans??
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 16 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Does she have chills and bodyache as well?
2.) Does she have burning sensation while passing urine?
3.) Does she get headache?
4.) Does she have cough?

If the pet horse has a virus infection and she had been close to it at that time, it is likely that she may have contracted the infection. It has to be confirmed, Kindly get her examined by a Urinalysis.
3.) Chest X XXXXXXX if she has cough.

Once confirmed, her fever will be managed with Antibiotics, Antipyretics, Fluids either orally or Intravenous.

At home, let her follow these steps for early recovery:

1.) Get adequate rest.
2.) Stay away from the affected pet horse.
3.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
4.) Drink plenty of fluids.
5.) Give her sponge bath with lukewarm water whenever she has fever.
6.) See to it, she sticks to her treatment plan and take her for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.