Persisting fever in child, given calpol. Can give meftal-P & with what dosage?

ENT Specialist
my 3 year old son has a fever of 101.3...we had given him calpol 3 hrs back....fever is still persisting....he is around 12kgs in wt....can I give him meftal-P now and if so how much of the Meftal-p suspension(100mg) in ml can I?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Firstly, I would like to tell you that careful monitoring is necessary in every child with fever.

Fever is generally due to infections...viral/bacterial/parasitic, but may be secondary to other forms of inflammatory diseases, systemic diseases and occasionally, due to disturbed central nervous system

The best treatment for fever is SPONGING.

To sponge means to continuously wipe the child's torso and upper half of the legs with a hand towel dipped repeatedly in lukewarm or tap water.

Sponging is a type of treatment that overcomes the disadvantages of giving medicines; however, it can prove to be difficult if the child is restless or refuses to cooperate.

Using lukewarm water helps to get him/her to allow you to remove his/her clothes and to mop the torso without the fear of this causing a chill or any other form of discomfort.
Try and keep at the sponging for a time that is proportional to the original temperature rise. Approximately, it takes at least half an hour of sponging to reduce the temperature by 1-1.5 degrees F.

During this procedure, keep giving sips of water or electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids to the child as he/she feels more thirsty than usual with fever.

You may check his/her temperature with a thermometer placed in his/her mouth/ear.

On the other hand, Calpol is mild antipyretic drug which is used to lower down the body temperature but it is seen that in the cases of high grade fever, calpol alone is not sufficient.
If his fever is very high, first give crocin for 2 times in 6hrs gap. If the fever still persists, then switch over to Meftal P which will definitely work. Give him oral fluids as much as he can take.

In case of any emergency, consult to a child specialist without any delay.
Don’t worry for the condition.
I hope for your son's fast recovery.
I am here for future follow ups.