Ask a Dentist   »  

Persisting fever after removing the abscessed tooth, hearing loss. Treatment?

ENT Specialist
my son had an abscessed tooth and pulled it himself since he does not have insurance. He ran a high temperature and was ill for several days. He now has total hearing loss in his left ear. The tooth was a lower molar. He has dentures in his upper mouth. Is there anything that can be done for the hearing loss?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. He needs a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) or at least Tuning Fork Tests along with an ear examination by a local ENT Specialist to differentiate a conductive from a sensori-neural hearing loss.

2. A sudden sensori-neural hearing (SSNHL) loss is a medical emergency and requires urgent treatment. If the time period exceeds four to six weeks, it may be permanent.

3. Conductive hearing loss can be treated on a more routine basis.

Hope I have answered your query. If you can get him to answer this, I will be able to suggest the best treatment options for his hearing loss. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.