Persisting dry cough. X-ray showing enlarged lymph nodes. CT scan advised. Had spleenectomy in past. Chances of cancer?

Had chest xray for a cough (dry) that has lasted for 2 months. I had a cold in late November or Early December. Xray shows some enlarged lymph nodes. Will have CT scan soon. Does this mean cancer or lymphoma? Can the lymph nodes become enlarged from coughing? No other lymph nodes enlarged. Non smoker and spleenectomy 38 yrs ago
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be suffering from chronic dry cough since 2 months and have been diagnosed with hilar adenopathy on xray chest.

2. There are many causes of hilar adenopathy. It needs to be confirmed on HRCT scan Thorax.

3. Some common causes of hilar adenopathy include - Respiratory infections, Tuberculosis, Sarcoidosis, rarely malignancy and so on.

3. In absence of of any other symptoms and any other finding on clinical examination like clinically detectable lymph nodes , lymphoma is a rare possibility at this stage.

4. You should also undergo a Ultrasonography of the abdomen to rule out intraabdominal lymphadenopathy.

5. Diagnosis can be confirmed by a FNAC (Fine needle aspiration cytology) which can be done either as a CT guided or through bronchoscopy (Transbronchial needle aspiration) from the mediastinal lymph nodes.

6. Some investigations that might be of help in your case would be - complete blood count, interferon gamma release assay- quantiferon gold test, Serum ACE (angiotensin converting enzyme) levels,serum and urinary calcium levels, ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), HIV testing & bronchoscopy.

7. Thus the next line of investigation is getting a CT thorax done and getting yourself evaluated by a Pulmonologist.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra