Persisting cough. History of smoking. X-ray report clear. Lung function test done. Should I be worried?

I quit smoking 5 months ago and have developed a cough - I had x-rays and they are clear and waiting for my lung function test results. Is this normal?
Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 4 hours later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through the query, I would like to comment the following:
1. You seem to have stopped smoking since 5 months and have now developed cough.
2. Xrays are clear - is a very good news.
3. Since you were a smoker there is a high probability of you suffering from COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) or small airway disease.
4. If obstruction is found on lung function testing then you might require oral as well as inhaler medicines.
5. If the cough is of very short duration then it might be secondary infection and may respond to antibiotics and inhalers.
6. If the cough is of long standing duration then it could be smoker's cough and you might need inhalers.
7. In any case please get yourself clinically evaluated in detail by a Pulmonologist.
8. Request - Please do not ever start smoking again.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra