Persisting cold, sneezing and cough despite taking antibiotics. Permanent cure?

I have been having cold from the last 3 months, with running nose, sneezing after sleep and cough. I have taken anti biotics 3 times with 3 different prescriptions 1. 3 days course 2. 6 days course 3. 10 day course. however i am still having cold and cough and heavy sneezing. kindly suggest further course of action. which specialist should i refer as i do not think a GP would be able to help ( i have consulted 2 ENT specialist already)
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 45 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

As you are having long standing runny nose and sneezing, its very likely that you are having allergic rhinitis. As you get symptoms only in some season, its more like seasonal allergic rhinitis than sinusitis. Other causes that cause similar issues but appear unlikely in your case are chronic sinusitis, nasal polyp, nose foreign bodies, deviated nose symptoms etc, which may get infected at times that needs antibiotics.

I see a good number of cases of these types every week.

Treatment of allergic rhinitis is not giving antibiotics but by possibly avoiding allergen, mainly by symptomatic relief by nasal sprays with anti-histaminics and nasal sprays containing steroids in difficult cases.

Please get your sinus xrays done that will be the next step.

You may need allergy specialist if ENT specialist could not help you.

I hope this answers your queries satisfactorily, please accept the answer if you do not have any more queries.