Persisting cold and cough during pregnancy. Remedy?

my wife is pregnent and she is facing cold n cough from last 10 days. but till now she hasnt got relieve.. what to do?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 45 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Which week of pregnancy is she in?
2.) Does she have fever?
3.) Is she going for regular follow up to her Gynecologist?

The fact I would like to let you know is that, Pregnant women tend to get more cold, cough or fever often than their non-pregnant counterparts, mostly due to the fact that the immune system is slightly less effective during pregnancy. The body lowers its defense mechanism to make sure that the baby is not rejected. Unfortunately, this allows pregnant women to be more susceptible to illnesses.

Not to worry, it doesn't seem to be a serious condition. Kindly do not take any over the counter cough/cold preparations without consulting your Gynecologist because most antihistamines, decongestants and cough medicines should not be taken during pregnancy unless instructed to do so by your Doctor. They are usually not tested in pregnant women and may have XXXXXXX side effects for the baby.

Since her symptoms are not subsiding, she will have to take antibiotics which has to be taken as directed by the doctor and go for regular follow up.

Let her follow these lifestyle modifications, which will boost her immunity:

1.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
2.) Do moderate exercise like brisk walking for 30 to 40 minutes daily.
3.) Wash her hands with a handwash before eating.
4.) Maintain proper hygiene after using a washroom and sexual activity.
5.) Take Multivitamins after discussing it with your Doctor.
6.) Get adequate rest.
7.) Drink plenty of fluids.
8.) She can use saline nasal sprays or steam inhalations to relieve congestion.
9.) Drinking warm water with honey, will help soothe her throat.
10.) Stick to her treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish her a healthy pregnancy.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: Persisting cold and cough during pregnancy. Remedy? 1 hour later
as per ur reply sir
dis month is her 8th month of pregnency. no she dont hv ffever. ya we she goes for checkup when ever the doctor calls her. plz prescrible me ur medicine list which u suggest her to take... and ya one more thing which medicine should she take with steam inhaltion. or she should inhale with hot water... plz explain...
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 18 minutes later

Thank you for writing back to me.

The Medicine cannot be prescribed just by looking at the History, since she is pregnant, she needs complete physical evaluation by a Gynecologist so that the cause is found out and medicines prescribed accordingly.

She can take steam inhalation with just boiled water, placed on the bowl on a table. She should bring her head at approximately arm's length away, cover her head with the towel, close her eyes and breathe deeply for 10 minutes continuously.

Hope this answers your query.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.