Persisting bleeding after miscarriage. How to stop this?

Question
I apparently had a miscarriage on 11/28 --- I been bleeding (spotting and having a light period since 11/11) I found out I had a positive preg test on 11/15. I am still bleeding, had two ultra sounds done(empty womb) but my levels are still climbing up ( very low though--right now 450) and would have been around 2 1/2 months preg. I have been to the hospital on 11/28 during the "miscarriage" and been bleeding even since then. It finally started to subside and today it turned red again. What could be going on with me? I am so scared? (first preg)
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 3 hours later

In case of incomplete abortion bleeding continues but is usually heavy with passage of clots.

In your case it may be due to hormonal disturbance.

One can think of ectopic pregnancy but in that case the bleeding is scanty and pain is more acute and it is seen on ultrasound scan.

Regarding the levels, they may decrease after 15 to 20 days.

You can take tranexamic acid under doctor's guidance and prescription.

If still the bleeding continues you will have to go for curettage in case there is endometrial thickness or it is therapeutic, if medical treatment fail.

Get your hemoglobin done and take iron supplements if needed.

Any further query is most welcome.