Persistently low temperature, flu symptoms. Took MRI for lump under ear. History of IBS and PVC. Serious?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi. I have had a sore throat for 2 days now along with a general run down feeling and headache but no other cold/flu symptoms. I noticed that my body temp has dropped to just under 97 where I am usually around textbook normal 98.6 or just a skosh higher. What does this mean? It came on one day after an appointment at the ear, nose and throat doctor, so wondering if I possibly picked it up there.
On a side note, I am awaiting an MRI for a lump under my ear that I have had for just over a month along with neck and scalp pain. The ENT doesn't seem to be too concerned. I also passed out at a costume event a week ago, but chocked that down to a confining costume and possible overheating due to wearing a wig.
I am female, 36, 5' 8" and 189lbs. I have a history of IBS related symptoms but no diagnosis as well as PVC's.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later

Persistently low body temperature with a run down feeling is usually seen in post infection weakness or a mild viral infection. Such mild viral illnesses usually respond well to acetaminophen (tylenol), high vitamin C supplements and a proper hydration.

Your symptoms should subside in 5-7 days.

Along with the medicines, good diet, especially protein XXXXXXX diet helps a lot in speedy recovery. You should include more of pulses in your diet along with fresh fruits, milk, cheese, eggs etc. in your day to day diet.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Persistently low temperature, flu symptoms. Took MRI for lump under ear. History of IBS and PVC. Serious? 2 hours later
Thank you. I also seem to have some swelling and pain in my neck as well as a mild headache, but I would not say that it is stiff as I haven't loss any range of motion. Would this also be consistant with viral infection?

Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Your symptoms are consistent with a generalized viral syndrome. Taking acetaminophen after breakfast and dinner for 4-5 days will bring you relief from your symptoms.
Hope my answer is helpful.