Ask a Urologist   »  

Persistent red and pink urine, stressed. Serious?

Question 31 female..mixed race... no health uriane has been going back and forth red to pink for 4 weeks now..i quite my job because of the super amount of stress working 8-10 daily no beak nothing...I been peeing the pass week and its red!!!!!!!!!!!!! why is this happening..should i go see a worried bad
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand your concern.

You have mentioned that the color of your urine is pink or red.

The reasons for the urine to turn red or pink are many, like;

1. Blood in the urine.
2. Dehydration - If you drink less water, your urine becomes high colored (Kind of dark yellow) but not red or pink.
3. If you are taking multivitamins -- Multivitamins might cause your urine to be red.
4. If you are taking some other medicine, for example anti Tuberculosis drugs turn urine red.

So, to be able to give you a better answer, I request you to tell me if you are taking any medicines and to please answer the following questions.

1. Do you have burning sensation or pain while passing urine?
2. Did you have similar problem anytime before in your life?
3. Do you get any pain in the lower tummy or loin region which shoots down to the inner thighs and labia?
4. Is the color of the urine red or pink each time you pass urine?
5. Have you noticed any sort of swelling around your eyes in the mornings, when you get up or in the legs after some time of standing idle?
6. Have lost some weight or gained any over the past month?
7. How many times do you have to pass urine in a day?
8. Do you get tiered pretty soon?

The reason for blood being in the urine could be due to many reasons like:

1. acute kidney disease (There are many conditions which involve kidneys which can cause hematuria), to identify the exact cause, you will need to visit your internist or a nephrologist for a complete physical exam along with investigations.
3. Stones in the urinary tract.

I suggest you see a Urologist or a Nephrologist at the earliest for a complete physical exam and for some basic investigations like complete blood counts, Urine routine exam and microscopy to see if there are any red blood cells in the urine. I suggest you take the early morning sample(The first urine sample). Ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis to see for the kidneys and any stones in the renal system.

I hope my answer was of help. Please do write back to me if you have anything you would like to discuss with me.

Dr. Yogesh. D