Persistent nausea and vomiting. Should I be concerned?

My wife gets very regular occurrences of naeusia and vomiting even to the point where she is putting up bile because her stomach is empty. She is reluctant to go to the doctor as the dietician said it must be certain foods. She has also spoken to the doctor who said it would probably pass. I am getting concerned because it is happening more often and even sometimes after very little food ?
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: there are different causes for persistent vomiting Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Persistent nausea and vomiting should be investigated. Though intolerance to foods can result in nausea and vomiting, you indicated that she vomits even when her stomach is empty. Persistent vomiting can be related to any of the following categories of problems: (1) visceral disease- this means a condition that involves the XXXXXXX organs of the abdomen Examples of visceral disease are reflux, obstruction of the stomach or part of the intestine, liver disease or disease of the gall bladder. (2)metabolic or toxic problem Examples of metabolic or toxic problems would be high calcium levels, alcohol, kidney disease, side effect of medication, uncontrolled diabetes (3)condition related to the central nervous system- this would be the brain to spinal cord Examples of central nervous conditions would be a mass in the brain or inner ear disease Food intolerance should only be considered after other conditions are ruled out. This means imaging should be done to look for any masses in the stomach and the intestines to check for any structure that may be causing the vomiting. This means a barium meal to look into the stomach and esophagus and possibly a CT to look into the other aspects of an intestines. Blood tests should be done to check for abnormal electrolytes like calcium, assess the liver and kidneys. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Persistent nausea and vomiting. Should I be concerned? 21 minutes later
My wife had her bloods checked just over a week ago and the only mention was of thyroid was slightly low and increased the thyroxine tablet by 25 mg. A bowel test was done approximately six months ago, still had start of a sickness at this time - not so frequent then, and bowel test was all clear.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: if the tests were normal then may be food Detailed Answer: Hi If she already had bloods that would have assessed her liver, kidneys, electrolytes and blood count and these were normal , then it is less likely to be relate to a malignant cause. The assessment of the colon would also rule out any problems intestines. If she also had an assessment of the stomach and upper intestines. This would be endoscopy or barium studies. If these tests did not reveal any significant abnormalities, then it is possible that the symptoms are due to food intolerance. As mentioned , this would be considered after more serious causes were ruled out with investigations. Please feel free to ask any thing else