Persistent headache, upper back pain, constipation and abdominal pain. On vitamin D. All reports normal. Worry?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I need to go to the Doc again, which test should i ask for22 year old hispanic female, weight is aproximately 150 pounds, height is 5'1, abstinent (religious reasons). i am an overall healthy person i rarely get sick, last time i had a cold/flu was about 3-4 years ago, so i rarely get sick. lately i have been feeling strange, it started about 4-5 weeks ago.

Symptoms: 1) had a headache that would not go away on left temple, and left eye twitching, muscle aches and joint cracking, fatigue. I have been taking vitamin D 5000 IU daily along with a combination of Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc this helped soooo much. I feel way better. The muscle aches seemed to move around my body.
2) I had upper back pain that would move to my left arm neck and jaw, and rib cage (EKG and everything was normal) this went away
3) constipation and abdominal pain, the pain is bearable, the pain started in my upper abdomen under my ribs. Now it has moved to my lower abdomen and back (kidney area) it is not like cramps, it is more of a random discomfort that comes and goes. my urine is neon yellow, it used to be a clearer color. when i push in my stomach by my belly button I feel a bump that causes the back discomfort that i feel at random moments. the pain is not too bad it is just annoying.

I went to the doc about 3 weeks ago, they did and EKG, CBC, and checked the thyroid, everything came back normal. please help. The only symptoms I feel now is the stomach discomfort it is around my belly button and moves to the back (kidney area) and constipation, and a bit of joint pain, everything else seems normal. I have no fever, chills, or anything else. I am a receptionist i sit in front of a computer for hours. please help.

can any of all this be related? like i said before i rarely get sick and all this started at around the same time. the doc thought it was GERD, but i doubt it.
Posted Fri, 8 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 11 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

Most of your symptoms do point to acid peptic disorder or a non ulcer dyspepsia

Your headache is under control with Vit D and minerals and the muscles aches are better - you may continue the same - We have seen some patients who develop hyperacidity following medicines of this group - So either take them after a meal or add a proton pump inhibitor[PPI] daily in the morning - Otherwise also for your symptoms I would recommend a PPI

The pain in left side of chest and abdominal pain around belly button also point to Gastritis with Collitis and a PPI will help here also

In some cases we have seen gastritis getting worse if associated with collitis - So it would be my next step - Go for a stool examination and a culture if required

Constipation can also add to the symptoms of dyspepsia so it is essential we manage it

I will suggest these tips for constipation :

1] Take a good amount of fiber in your diet
2] Take plenty of fluids
3] Exercise at least five days a week
4] Manage your stress levels
5] If need be add a laxative of a fiber supplement like psyllum husk

Yes most of your symptoms can be correlated

I would prefer going for a upper Gi Endoscopy and rule out reflux [GERD] and an ulcer along with H-Pylori at the same time

Hope this helps
Am Available for followup queries
Wishing you a Speedy recovery

Follow-up: Persistent headache, upper back pain, constipation and abdominal pain. On vitamin D. All reports normal. Worry? 14 minutes later
does the yellow urine, have to do with the acidity?

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for your followup

Not exactly - If the same persist for all instances and you take adequate fluids - meaning if your urine is not concentrated I would go for a urine examination and if need be a Blood report depending on the urine analysis

Hope this helps
Am Available for followup queries
Wishing you a Speedy recovery

Follow-up: Persistent headache, upper back pain, constipation and abdominal pain. On vitamin D. All reports normal. Worry? 2 days later
Would you suggest that I go to a gastroenterologist specialist? or a regular family doctor?

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your followup query

I would suggest a Gastroentrologist Specialist, reason being You need to come to a conclusive diagnosis and I would not like you to be referred back to a specialist

Hope it clears your doubt
Do get back if you need any clarification or understanding after the consultation
Get Well Soon

Follow-up: Persistent headache, upper back pain, constipation and abdominal pain. On vitamin D. All reports normal. Worry? 15 days later
I went to a gastroenterologist and had an Upper GI series, it showed mild GERD. I asked her if GERD can affect the bowels and somehow cause abdominal pain. I told her that I dont have a set eating schedule and sometimes skip meals. She said that the stomach produces acid for digeation of food thrpughout the day wether i eat or not, and that it can move through the bowels and tear through the mucous lining and cause discomfort iin the abdomen. She is having me change my diet completely and eat smaller healthier more frequent meals. she gave me a diet plan with more starches. Does the explanation she gave me regarding the random abdominal discomfort (slight burning sensation) make sense? will eating smaller meals and taking Omeprazole in the morning help?

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for coming back again

The explanation regarding the acid tearing the mucous lining and causing discomfort needs elaboration ,I feel she meant to say it causes inflammation of the inner lining of GI Tract and causes the discomfort

Yes small frequent meals always helps as it neutralizes the acid out put and reduces the demand of medicines

Omeprazole or any other Proton Pump inhibitor is the remedy of choice in Gastritis but in GERD we prefer adding a prokinetic to reduce the reflux

Hope this helps

Am available for followup queries
Get Well Soon