Persistent headache, screeching noise inside head, bleeding nose, nausea. What could be the reason?

ENT Specialist
Question
my daughter has screaching noise in her head and she has headache since three days at the back of her head and feeld nausea and if she is going to have nose bleed and infact she had one while sleeping can you please tell what it is
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. You should take her to an ER immediately.

2. It may be related to a sudden surge of blood pressure. However it is unusual for a 16 year old to have a spontaneous nose bleed.

3. There are simple causes like trauma, colds, nasal dryness, medication induced and so on. These may be ruled out later. The screeching noise could be Tinnitus, which is usually harmless. You may get her hearing tested later.

4. Check if she has dizziness or lowered consciousness. If the headache started with a thunderclap like feeling, or if it is the worst one in her life, she needs immediate CT Scannning to rule out a Subarachnoid hemorrhage or an aneurysm.

5. Get an Abdominal USG (Ultrasound) done to rule out kidney problems.

6. Does she have any vomiting along with the nausea? Has her nose bleed stopped? Is her headache increasing in severity? Is there any current medication that she is on?

I must emphasize that without alarming yourself, it is safer to get medical attention immediately.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Persistent headache, screeching noise inside head, bleeding nose, nausea. What could be the reason? 2 hours later
she is not vomiting she feels light headed a bit dizzy sometimes and nose bleed she didnt have much but she feels the feeling that as she is going to have nose bleed i took her to hospital they had her blood pressure checked that was fine but still the head ahce is not going she is really in pain and her headache is increasing and she is feeling pain all over her body she has got flu and her bones are hurting even her tooth its just like weakness all over ..doctors in hospital said nothing big but i am concerned bcuz doctors in nhs dont care much so can you please help me bcuz i am worried about any kind of tumour or something major ...

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. If her headache is now accompanied by a flu, she requires supportive medication. Did she have fever? The doctors who saw her must have prescribed some medication.

2. I would recommend a routine blood investigation including a complete blood count and a coagulogram. Did she have an ENT examination to ascertain the source of her nose bleed (epistaxis)?

3. Tumors would usually not start with these symptoms. You may request a second look if her symptoms do not decrease in a day or two. Her blood pressure may be normal between episodes of nasal bleeding. You may then insist on all the investigations mentioned above.

Regards.

Follow-up: Persistent headache, screeching noise inside head, bleeding nose, nausea. What could be the reason? 10 hours later
When she woke up this morning she was spitting blood out of her mouth (i think that was the blood she was expecting from the nose bleed) the pain in her head also hurts the left front side, above her ear towards her eye alot. She is also complaninig that her eyes are hurting alot and has weakness and a lot of pain in her joints. she says that when she moves (even slightest movement as in turning her neck) or when she stands up, she becomes light headed and slightly dizzy.she constanly feels XXXXXXX she is about to have a nose bleed and the pain from her head is running down her neck along her spine limiting her movement and increasing pain...

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

1. She definitely need to be admitted at an indoor facility.

2. There is no way that this should be treated on an Out Patient basis or at home.

3. She needs an immediate review at an ER as she has a combination of the following symptoms: Epistaxis, headache, body ache, flu like symptoms, arthritis , light headed-ness, dizziness, tinnitus and weakness. Any medic with the NHS symptom checklist would agree.

4. Has she traveled lately?

Regards.