Persistent head lice, tried many medications without effect. Want to try Natroba but need prescription.

I am so fed up with a situation which seems like our family's medical doctors and the places we go are shunning us like we are dirty. BUT WE ARE NOT! We are dealing with persistent head lice and have been dealing with this for a long, long time. We have tried Ovide, Rid, Nix, Lice Freee, Neon Nits and EVERY home remedy you could imagine and nothing gets rid of the head lice. We even spent $700 to get our heads blow dried and vacuumed by this device called the Lousebuster TWICE and it still didn't get rid of them. Our family doctor said...just keep trying OTC remedies because you want to use something without pesticides. We vacuum everyday, we have a ritual of combing twice a day and in the evenings we put coconut oil in our hair and blow dry it till it is so hot that we cannot stand it! This has been going on for years so we try to just keep it our family's little secret because any time we ask our doctor or go to an immediate care center for help, they treat us as if we are just plain dirty. We bathe daily....all of us! We are not dirty. Are we the only family in the world battling head lice? We want to try that new medicine Natroba, but our doctors have not heard of it and will not prescribe it. We have three kids and are just your typical middle class family, but we are fed up and need some help with this! Is there a doctor that can help us?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 4 hours later

Thank you for the Query.

I can understand your situation, I would like to let you know that your family is not the only one who has suffered this condition for the first time, it is a commonly encountered problem affecting millions of people each year, especially preschool and elementary school aged children and their close contacts. I empathise with you and Kindly don't lose hope.

It is not a sign of bad personal hygiene or an unclean living environment. This itchy infestation, also called Pediculosis Capitis, most commonly spreads through close personal contact and by sharing personal belongings.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Since how long do you have this Problem?
2.) Are all members of your family affected?
3.) Do you and your Husband sleep close to your Kids?

Head lice are not transmitted by pets but by head to head contacts with the infected Person and sharing contaminated personal belongings or Upholsteries.

Kindly get yourself examined by a Dermatologist so that he/she may examine you and rule out other possibilities and Prescribe medications.

In addition to this, you can also follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) You may want to wet your hair and comb them with a Fine toothed comb, this will remove most of the lice, you can try this on yourself and your family members. Repeat every three to four days for two weeks.

2.) Go to your kids school and try to find out who they are close with and check out if they have the same symptoms.

3.) Wash the bed linen and other stuff which your family uses regularly in hot water and dry them at high heat for at least 20 minutes. Soak brushes and combs in very hot water for five to 10 minutes.

4.) Followed by this, seal them in a Plastic bag, this will kill the eggs and live lice.

5.) Vacuum clean your Upholstery regularly.

6.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish you Family a Very Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: Persistent head lice, tried many medications without effect. Want to try Natroba but need prescription. 11 hours later
We have tried everything that you already suggested. Yes, we think we know exactly when we got it. A group of girls came over for a slumber party that my daughter had and we believe one of those kids had it. This is the first time I have ever had head lice and one of our kids had it years before, but we were able to take care of it with RID from the store. We have been dealing with this for almost 4 years! Day in and day out of combing, combing, combing, vacuuming EVERYTHING we come in contact with, laundering bed clothes daily and drying them on super high heat. Everything that is asked of us we do! I am such an expert on how to do the daily maintenance of all this that I could write a book! I have done the Cetaphil method, the mayo, vasaline, conditioner, vinegar...etc. I even went online and bought all kinds of natural oils (tea tree, camphor, XXXXXXX ..NEEM, which stinks to the high heavens)..etc.
I have already tried all of the above. When the reports on the Internet talk about SuperLice....I believe it. I have never in my life been so frustrated and fed up.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 13 hours later

Thank you for Writing Back to me.

Good You have been trying all the stuff for controlling your Symptoms, as i said earlier, get a Opinion from a Dermatologist so that he/she can evaluate you and your family completely, this also requires to identify any source from your Partner's place of work. There could be chances that a co worker of your Husband might be suffering from the same set of symptoms.

Follow the advice which I have given earlier, You should be removing and destroying the Infested clothing of your's and your family which is part of the treatment.

You can discuss with your Doctor and use Spinosad for the treatment of head louse infestation. It is applied to dry hair as a cream rinse, left in for 10 minutes, and then shampooed out. No combing is necessary.

Soak the hair in a solution of equal parts water and white vinegar and then wrap the wet scalp in a towel for at least 15 minutes, this may facilitate removal using a fine toothed comb. Do not allow your children to exchange or use another child's hat, comb, or brush.

Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Good Luck and Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.