Persistent bronchial infection, upper respiratory infection. Carbocysteine, N-Acetylcysteine or guaifenesin effective?

I am suffering with a very persistant bronchal infection with a mild upper respiritory infection, which drug is most effective for this condition, carbocysteine , N-Acetyl Cysteine or guaifenesin ? I am female, 66 yrs old, weigh 69 kilos, height 1m.63. Generaly healthy.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Persistent bronchial infection with a thick sputum or expectoration needs good antibiotics first of all to control the infection . Once the infection is controlled, only then carbocysteine or N- acetyl cysteine will help in liquefying the thick sputum in the bronchioles and guaifenesin helps in expectoration.
Out of the three, N- acetyl cysteine is most effective in such conditions.

Along with these, do steam inhalation at least twice daily- Take hot water in a vessel, put eucalyptus oil in it. Inhale it by covering yourself with a blanket. See to it that fans/AC are not on during this and after some time also i.e. around 10-15 minutes.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.