Ask a Urologist   »  

Persistent bleeding from penis, had TURP and scar tissue removal surgery, catheter removed, confusion about taking fluids

I had button TURP surgery in May and two weeks ago had
surgery to remove scar tissue from the original surgery. The
catheter was removed over one week ago. I am still bleeding from
my penis. My urologist says I should not worry about his and
he does not want to put a catheter back in. Of course, I do
not want it back in either, but this bleeding does not seem right.
What are my options? I am also getting what sounds like conflicting advice about drinking fluids. On the one hand I should
not drink water to calm everything down, but on the other I
should drink fluids to prevent clotting if I am bleeding. I
am frustrated and confused.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 11 hours later

One can have persistent bleeding after prostate surgery. This can continue to persist for a month in some individuals. So do not worry.

In certain cases, urine tested - urine routine and culture to rule out urinary tract infection.

Drinking plenty of water definitely is useful. In addition, consider starting 'tablet dutasteride' under the care of your urologist.

Hope I have answered your query. Should you have any additional concerns, I will be available to address them.