Persistent bleeding after delivery. Is this normal?

Hi I have given birth to my first 7 months agoiI've been on the mini pill for at least 6 months now n I'm still bleeding , this month I am on n its been 11 days now n have not stopped is this normal? I feel sick twice n I hav a partner does this mean the pill is not working n I'm pregnant again. I've been to doctors n they said to try another form of protection
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pill may be changed after excluding pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:

Please be more specific about the pattern of the bleeding and the investigations you have had, if any.

Persistent bleeding after a delivery can happen
-as the normal hormonal status of the body is not yet reached and this can take a few months in some.
-lactation can also create hormonal imbalances.
-use of hormonal contraception can cause irregular bleeding pattern.
-unknown pregnancy and a threatened abortion could be yet another cause.
-added to all this, stress and infections are the other causes.

You would need to exclude the facts one by one. Please see a specialist and get a thorough local examination, get a sonogram-pelvic and trans-vaginal, serum beta-hCG titres to exclude/confirm pregnancy, blood counts and urinalysis.

If pregnancy is excluded and no other pelvic cause or infection is found, the most likely cause is the pill. You should either shift to another brand or combination on a trial and error basis or choose another form of contraception.

Please maintain a healthy body weight and have a good diet. Try to avoid stress as much as possible as postpartum period and the period after that carries the stress of recovering and looking after an infant also.

Hope your query is answered. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.