Persistent back pain. Exercising, taking proper diet, maintaining proper posture. Extra precautions?

Orthopaedic Surgeon

I have been experiencing back pain for a couple of years now. I am an avid sports enthusiast and play a sport almost everyday. My diet is also proper with most meals being home prepared.
I have got my back pain checked at a renowned hospital but the doctor only advised me to join a gym and exercise. Although i joined a gym but have failed at being consistent. Instead, i have been playing a sport (which i used to do earlier also).
I try and maintain my posture daily in all activities. I am 6 feet tall with a weight of 65 kgs.

But, the back pain persists. What extra precaution should i be taking?
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
You are suffering from what we call the industrial back ache. It is mostly due to a muscular fatigue rather any spinal pathology. The first step is to ensure that you maintain an appropriate posture while working on the computer. Take frequent stretch breaks and drink lots of water. Discontinue using pillow while sleeping straight. Do not lift heavy objects, especially after bending down. Eat a healthy wholesome meal which should satisfy your minerals and proteins requirement.

The most essential and long lasting remedy is exercises. There are certain back strengthening and neck isometric exercises that you must learn from a physiotherapist and perform them at home or work whenever possible. You can also undergo a weeks session of traction at your physiotherapist's clinic if needed.

Last but not least, if its unbearable take medications or muscle relaxant prescribed by your physician. And if it has been long standing illness visit your orthopaedician and clinically-radiologically establish a diagnosis( MRI scan) to commence definitive treatment.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.