Persistent acne, oily skin, do not want to take Bactrim long-time, tried vitamin B5 regimen.

Hi, im asking this because im fighting with acne for years now, im 21 and i have mild acne, but persistent, it never goes way. I already tried all retinoids, and it really didnt do much, adapalene seems to be the best one, but like i said it never goes way. Tried azelex, benzoyl peroxide, antibiotics. I put BACTROBAM when i have a inflamed acne, seems to work, but i now i cant use it for too long. My skil is VERY oily and my acne is inflammed, my pores are huge. Bactrim was the only antibiotic that worked by the way, but i hate the idea of taking it for too long. By now, i know theres no topical solution for me, i already used all topical treatments that doctors usually put people on. Im probably going on accutane. But i didnt want to... Because of the risks and because i have dry eye too, so i guess would be even worse.
Im 21, male, brazillian (so, ''latino skin'' you can say) . My acne is all on the cheeks, nothing on nose or forehead, i dont know if it means something...
I already tried B5 vitamin regimen, and didnt work too.
Im writing this, to know if there is any kind of new medication or something i still dont know (i doub it) that is used to treat acne.

I can post pictures if its necessary.

Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later

Acne itself arises due to hormonal imbalance.
Treatment consists of Antibiotics, Retinoids, and Salicylic acid.

Isotretinoin is a type of retinoid.
Till date it is the most effective drug against acne.
When given for proper indication in proper dosage with proper monitoring (blood cholesterol needs to be monitored) Isotretinoin is a wonderful drug.

Isotretinoin is very effective and you can definitely take it for Acne.
When started it has to be taken for 3 months continuously.

While on this drug, you will feel dryness of face, dry eyes,scaling and cracking of the lips but it is extremely common side effect.
Apply moisturizer like acnemoist on face.
For dry eyes you can put artificial tear drops like tears plus.

Along with Accutane you can undergo chemical peeling with salycylic acid, glycolic acid etc .
It will be effective in acne as well as pigmentation and will also improve skin tone.

Alternatively you can undergo IPL laser treatment for Acne .
It is also effective for acne and pigmentation.

A benzoyl peroxide face wash(brevoxyl )will be effective also.

Do you have male pattern baldness or excessive hair growth on face?

Do you have any other systemic problems?

You can post pictures as they will be more informative.

Hope I’ve answered your query. For any further follow up query I will be available.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr Sudarshan.