Perscribed oxyccondone for pain. Urine test showed no pain medicines. How can that be?

Dec 2012

I am have been perscribed oxyccondone for pain. I take 2 pills in the am and 2 in the pm. I had a urine test done at docs office and it came back that I had no pain modes at all in my system. How can that be possible. How long does that kind of pain meds stay in your system if you take it every day.
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Oxycodone's half life is 2-4hours

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I am pleased to be able to assist you.

83% of oxycodone is excreted through urine and it has a half life or duration of 2-4 hours ones taken orally (so it can act and stay in your system only for that duration). Ones you take it, it normally should start acting in 10-15minutes (orally) and the effect should last for 3-6hours but remember only 17% is not excreted in urine and has an effect.
That is probably why a urine test done does not show any trace of the pain medicine but if blood tests for the specific drug is done, it can be found within 2-4hours of ingestion.

I hope this answers your question and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Perscribed oxyccondone for pain. Urine test showed no pain medicines. How can that be? 1 hour later
Thank you for getting back to me with this info. I will tell you why I asked this question I went to Docs office to pick up my script for the month of October. They gave me a random drug screen and I got the results back which was there was no oxycodone in my system. I had taken them the night before but had not taken them before going over to get script as it was 9 am and I had not eaten anything before I went there. I did not want to take meds on empty stomach. Could you please tell me what kind of test would show that the meds re in my system. Thank you. DEPS
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Urine and blood tests can detect

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX,

Thanks for updating,

Before I go any further, I will like to also be clear that it is also possible to detect oxycodone in urine if you have been taking regularly but the condition of collection and the test done also matters. The fact that it was not detected does not mean that it was not present but could be a false negative test which could be repeated with collection of early morning midstream urine.
Oxycodone is usually detectable in a standard blood test for approximately 6 hours after last dosing. There is no way, however, to give a precise time frame, because it is always going to vary from person to person, depending on individuating factors, such as your overall health, activity levels, fluid intake etc.

Hope this helps
Dr. Nsah