Peroneal tendon, bunion on the foot, tendinitis reoccur. Had cardiac bypass surgery. Caused by stationary cycling?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
This is a question for ortho or sports med specialist. I had cardiac bypass surgery in XXXXXXX so they have me exercising a lot. I was walking when it was warm enough and am now using a stationery cycle. Once when walking I got strain in the peroneal tendon along outside of L leg. Saw a physical therapist and he gave me some stretches to do. Since cold weather set in, have been using a stationary cycle, and now seem to have that tendonitis again. So, question: I thought cycling was non-impact and thus unlikely to result in injury. Could the injury now be due to cycling, or is it more likely to be a coincidence? Additional info: I have a bunion on that foot and so have custom-made orthotics (tho haven't been wearing them when I cycle; do wear them when I walk).

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later

Cycling can precipitate the inflammation of the peroneal tendon. The bunion on the foot is not likely to affect the inflammation of the tendon.
You need to avoid cycling and any stretches of the leg till the pain persists.
You can start with tablet Ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin , if not allergic to) 400mg, one tablet after breakfast and dinner for seven days. Hot fomentation and local analgesic gels will also help in relieving the pain.
I encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications if over the counter medications are not helpful.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.