Periods were heavy, but now reduced. Getting hot flashes and feel nauseous. Not pregnant, what else?

Question
My periods usually last 5 days and are heavy. In march it lasted 2 days, skipped april, may 2 days, and XXXXXXX 1 day. I have been getting hot flashes and feel nauseous at times. I have a 13 yr old and I don't feel pregnant. What is going on?
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 33 minutes later
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX Decreased flow during menstruation needs evaluation, most common possibility is PCOS, which is more common now a days, other possibilities are Thyroid abnormality, Prolactin hormone problem. As you are getting hot flashes also, rarely you might be going into Premature Ovarian Failure. I usually evaluate patients with similar complaints with hormone studies i.e:
LH, FSH LEVEL
FREE T3 ,T4 & TSH
SERUM PROLACTIN
And Ultrasound pelvis-rule out any uterus or ovarian pathology.
If any abnormality is there, I treat the cause and put my patients on low dose combined oral contraceptive pills.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Periods were heavy, but now reduced. Getting hot flashes and feel nauseous. Not pregnant, what else? 1 hour later
is there a chance I might be pregnant?

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 6 minutes later
Hi again,

Yes, there is a possibility of pregnancy, because you missed your periods and your subsequent periods are very scanty, as it could be implantation bleeding. I will advise you to get a urine pregnancy test. If it is negative kindly get all the above mentioned investigations.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.

Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
WWW.WWWW.WW