Periods lasted for six days, blood discharge intermitent. Can this be mittleshmerz?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
My last period was on May 31st, 2012. It lasted for about 6 days (normal). Yesterday on XXXXXXX 12th, I have sex , and then after I checked my underwear and saw brownish/pinkish tinge of blood. It was not like a regular period, but it was enough for me to wear a panty liner. It has not stopped since. It's been about 2 days now. My regualar cycles are 27 days. What can this be? I read it could be mittleshmerz but i think this is a little more than "spotting XXXXXXX ....please help. thanks
Posted Tue, 3 Jul 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi,
thanks for the query.

the possible causes of your bleeding are,

-post coital bleeding:
it can be seen because of post coital tears on vaginal walls,
due to cervical polyps or erosions which will bleed on touch,

-as you told it can be mittleshmerz syndrome, in this syndrome not only spotting sometimes bleeding can also be seen.

-in case of on hormonal contraceptives break through bleeding can also be seen.

anyhow if the bleeding subsides soon it is ok, if not you better once get examined with gynecologist to find out the cause so that proper treatment can be taken.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.

Follow-up: Periods lasted for six days, blood discharge intermitent. Can this be mittleshmerz? 3 minutes later
I don't think it is from tears on the vaginal walls because it's coming from my uterus. What does it mean since it is brown blood with no odor?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 22 minutes later
hi XXXXXXX rodriguez,

just by seeing the color we can't say whether it is coming from vagina or uterus, as vagina is around 10 cms long organ XXXXXXX injuries may be there.

if at all it is from uterus only there is more possibility for mittleshmerz syndrome because,
- you are around the period of ovulation,
-and blood is minimal in quantity

as this bleeding occurs because of withdrawal of estrogen may be it is appearing as endometrial tissue of follicular stage that is brown in color, absence of odor eliminates presence of infection.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.