Periods delayed from months. Normal?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi doctor,

My sister is 23 years old and she didn't have her monthly period from 2 months. Is it normal?
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 21 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

This is not normal, but this is also not something unusual and you should not be worried because in most cases it doesnt indicate anything serious.
Sometimes in young girl missed period may appear with no obvious reason and it is recommended to seek medical help if this happens 3 months in a row.
Of course, you should rule out pregnancy first. Other common causes are stress(emotional or physical), excessive exercise, weight loss or obesity.

If all this is ruled out then some medical conditions must be considered and this is in most cases hormonal imbalance(steroid or thyroid hormones). This is usually seen in PCOS and ovarian cysts.
So if she miss next period or even earlier if she wants, I suggest to do hormonal blood tests and ovarian ultrasound. After this some hormonal therapy may be considered which will stabilize her periods.
Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.Regards