Ask a Urologist   »  

Periods completed, spotting during sex, pain in back and abdomen. Bladder infection or pregnancy ?

I had my last period on May30th - XXXXXXX 3rd.2 days after my period was over I noticed some spotting during sex. Then on the following monday I was in extreme pain in my lower back and abdomen area, also there was some spotting. I went to the Doctor and they diagnosed me with a severe bladder infection. She gave me (Cirofloxacin) and about 3 days later the pain stopped. While I was at the doctor she gave me a pregnancy test and the results were negative.I have alos taken 2 at home test and both were negative. Although I have notice a change in the size of my breast and a little weight gain. I'm also feeling bloated. I'm also spotting again today. Could I be pregnant?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 32 minutes later

Since u have taken three pregnancy tests and all were negative plus u had period on may 30th it is unlikely you being pregnant.Urine pregnancy test become positive after 24 hrs of conception meaning pregnancy can be detected earliest at 24 hrs.

Bladder infection can give rise to bowel abnormalities and bloated abdomen.

Do u get nauseating in morning hours?
Do u notice your nipples getting darker in color?
Do u feel hungry more than normal ?

For your spotting you must visit your gynecologist .
he/she will do per vaginal and pelvic examination for the cause of spotting he may also advise you ultrasonography of abdomen and pelvis to find out cause of spotting and bloated feeling.

Anticipating your response.

Follow-up: Periods completed, spotting during sex, pain in back and abdomen. Bladder infection or pregnancy ? 1 hour later
No I have not had any kind of morning sickness or nausea. I honestly can't tell a difference in the color of my nipples never paid much attention to them. No i haven't noticed anything different about my eating habbits. What are some reasons that I might have the constant cramping and breast tenderness?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 10 hours later

Menstruation / Pregnancy / Menopause all of these conditions alter the levels of estrogen and progesterone in the body. Breast pain can occur due to hormone disturbances. Based on your description, pregnancy is very, very unlikely.

At the age 22, breast tenderness could occur due to multiple reasons. Conditions such as Stress, Alcoholism, Oral contraceptive use, Antidepressants, etc can cause breast tenderness. Apart from is few other conditions such as Mastitis, Fibrocystic disease of breast, Leiomamyoma breast may have to be ruled out.

Consult your gyanecologist to rule out the possibilities.

Meanwhile you may take some analgesic anti inflammatory tablets such as ibuprofen. Apply evening prim XXXXXXX oil to your breasts. They will benefit you.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Periods completed, spotting during sex, pain in back and abdomen. Bladder infection or pregnancy ? 3 hours later
Do you have any ideas as to why I'm spotting & have gained 7lbs in almost two weeks? I have also noticed mood swings quite often. My boyfriend says they are pretty bad.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 57 minutes later

Gaining 7 lbs in two weeks is not good sign. Mood swings, vaginal spotting, bloated abdomen, Weight gain, Breast tenderness all point towards a hormonal imbalance.

You may get a hormonal profile with FSH, LH, progesterone levels done. Along with that I suggest an Ultrasound scan of the abdomen. A vaginal examination adds value for a specific diagnosis.

Hence an appointment with Gynecologist should be the next thing you have to consider.

Hope it answers.