Periodic numbness on the left side of the body. Need investigation?

For the past 15 years or so I have had periodic numbness on the left side of my body, from the face to the foot. I have mentioned it to my doctors often. Tests have never been suggested. The numbness goes away in about 60 seconds and happens every month or so.
Posted Tue, 29 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 hours later

The involvement of the body in numbness which includes the face and half of the body indicates that the problem which is causing is residing the brain and not the peripheral nerves.

I would suggest you go for a MRI scan (Magnetic resonance imaging) of the brain which will rule out any space occupying lesion of any structural deformation which could lead to a symptom like that.

Also do go for nerve conduction studies which will provide detailed information about the faulty conduction.

Both above tests will give both structural and electrophysiological information enough to study the symptom you have and arrive at a diagnosis.

Do consult a neurologist with the above test reports who after examining you will be able to find out the exact cause.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.