Period was not heavy and lasted for more days. HCG level was less. Home pregnancy test was positive. Am I pregnant?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hello, Doctor
August 5th was my period. Most of time my circle is 26 days. On Aug 30th my period looked like to come. But this time it was not very heavy and lasted 14 days. After it I went to check HCG lever on Sep 12th, it was less than 5u/l. Then after another 13 days, I went to check HCG again on Sep 26th, it was 18u/l. Because I took one home pregnancy test on Sep 24, it was positive. Could you tell me if I am pregnant or not? Thanks a lot
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Considering HCG levels there is possible pregnancy that lasts for 4-8 days. So it would mean that you had period around 5th september and you had sexual intercourse around ovulation(14-24th september). If this is right then there is very high possibilty of pregnancy.

If you think that fertilization happened before( during ovulation in august, around 14-22th) and that there wasnt period in september then this is not pregnancy since HCG levels would be much much higher than 18 and it may only mean miscarriage or other gynecological pathology.

Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. regards
Follow-up: Period was not heavy and lasted for more days. HCG level was less. Home pregnancy test was positive. Am I pregnant? 1 hour later
Hi Dr.Romic
Thank you for replying me.
Was it possible from Agust 30 and lasted 14 days implantation? If it was, HCG 18u/l on Sept 26 could still be pregnant? I heard that HCG could be low because the baby is a boy from my friend, is it correct? Thank You!
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 11 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Yes, this is possible too.
HCG can vary from pregnancy to pregnancy and it can be bit lower in boys. but 4 weeks after fertilization it should be at least 50 in every case.
So do hcg test again in few days, if there is hcg more than 50 then it definitely indicates pregnancy.